Whenever we think of aioli, we can’t help but remember a meal we had with a good friend of ours.
We were two Canadians in Thailand sitting down with our English friend for some burgers and fries at this really spectacular burger joint owned by two Americans on the island of Koh Phangan and when our food came, our friend looked up at us with one of the biggest smiles we’ve ever seen and said “There’s garlic aioli!! I LOVE garlic aioli!” At the time it seemed random but when we look back we see exactly how significant that aioli was.
Afterall, we were three people travelling abroad and were looking for a little taste of home. Sure, the burgers were the goal but that garlic aioli dipping sauce for our fries was symbolic of home for all of us, the owners included, in an even more powerful way than the burgers. It was simple, unexpected and a condiment we would never have expected during all of our lengthy stays in Southeast Asia.
Since then, we’ve explored much more of Asia and beyond and we now often cook dishes from our travels right at our own home in Canada to remind us of places we’ve been and cuisine we’ve tried. It’s always interesting then, that when we make a classically western recipe like garlic aioli (no matter what we pair it with) that we think of Thailand and that small, but memorable, burger shop.
Garlic Aioli Recipe
This is our quick go-to garlic aioli recipe that we especially love to pair with our baked green bean fries recipe for a tasty snack! With only 5 ingredients, it’s a simple way to add a delicious touch to sides, meals and snacks.
- 2 cloves of garlic (we like extra garlic so we’ll often add about 3 cloves)
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh-squeezed lemon juice (we add a bit more to taste)
- Salt to taste (start with 1/4 tsp)
- Mash cleaned garlic cloves by using a garlic press. If you don’t have a garlic press, a small holed grater will also work
- Combine the mashed garlic with salt and use a fork to mash further into a paste
- Whisk in the mayo, oil and lemon juice until combined
- Taste and add more salt if desired